Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In The End

And in the end,
after all the career aspirations
after all the juggling schedules
after all the fights over priorities
after consoling all the anxieties
after convincing away all the guilt
after managing home and work
she steps back and says
I'm having another one
I'll stay at home you go and fend for us
Everyone applauds the brave choice
All the pieces in the universe seem
to fall in place again
she feels at peace.
Years of being face down
I now look up through all of dirt
as they lead her away from me.
let them walk all over me
never seen her so beautiful.
This is how it should be they say
get up wipe your hands
wear a clean shirt
go meet the boss man.
ask for a raise, you need more now
take care of her now that they are two.
As I sit and watch the sun go down
the little hands of the earlier one
come round my neck.climbs into my lap
Everyone is gone but she stayed back.















No comments: